Friday, April 2, 2010

Joining randoms and a string of flags

I decided to have another go at joining pieces together in a random way, but this time decided to use sewing as the joining method.  Amongst the bunch of scraps I had on the table, I found some pieces joined together like a string - this happens often around the edges of the leather hide when the corners of the cut pieces don't quite reach the edges.
I joined the piece by putting together adjacent edges and stitching, and working my way around in this manner.  I kept joining until I there were no more stringy bits or angles to join up.





The result definitely has potential - rather than recreating a textile, this method uses the shape of the cut pieces to create form.  Something like this could form part of a garment.  I decided to repeat the exercise with another piece of similar scrap.


Another good result.  This started me thinking about how I could perhaps categorise the waste in order to get some control over what is seeming very uncontrollable - i.e. the hide I cut from is always different, I don't know what i'll be cutting from the leather, I don't know why the leather will be unsuable for anything else.  The last point is the thing that I'm thinking I may be able to start predicting, and therefore design a strategy for how I will use certain types of leather waste.  The waste that was the starting point for these exercises reminds me of a "string of flags", which might be a nice way of describing this type of waste :o)
This also got me thinking about classifying the types of things that I'm exploring.  I call this "joining randoms" and have also experiemented with "approximation of desired shapes" and "jigsawing".  The other area is "use of unaltered scrap", which is something I've been attempting to do with every exercise, to try to develop different strategies within this intention.

No comments:

Post a Comment