Friday, April 2, 2010

A lovely bag

I wanted to get some inspiration from some beautiful leather objects, and remembered this bag with belongs to my sister and dates to around the 1st half of the century - not sure of an exact date.  The workmanship is outstanding and it has an interesting functional but aesthetically lovely design.





I attempted to make a version of this bag using some of the leather waste.  I tried to find pieces that would approximate what the pattern pieces would be for the bag - hence using the scrap without alteration.  There were a few off cuts when I sewed the piece together, but mostly I managed to do this with no other waste.
The piece ended up being a crazy warped shape and I didn't capture the beautiful shape of the original bag at all, but again it showed the limitations with using the scrap as it is, and illustrated the lack of control that I have.

No comments:

Post a Comment